Tharja, Making Of – Part 2: Bra and Body

And I’m back with the first making of – blogpost in 2017! This time I will be talking about Tharja from Fire Emblem again. Since I know a lot of people (especially those who want to cosplay Tharja aswell) who really don’t know how to do her body, this is one thing I would like to explain in detail – including the bra.

If you haven’t read part 1 (pants & belt) yet, feel free to do so by clicking here.

The first thing I did was making the rings she wears on her middlefingers. I thought about a good way to craft them and since I got Worbla’s DecoArt I figured why not try this out.

0

This is what it looks like. Don’t worry, these are no drugs, these are the DecoArt Pellets. If you put them into hot water, they will melt and you can form them into any shape you’d like. The best thing: You can always reheat it by putting it back into the water to form it again. So I made two rings and after they were completely dry (they turn transparent when they are heated, but turn back to white once they’re dry) I painted some golden color onto them and sprayed fixing spray over these.

12

Next thing I did was buying 3 pairs of tights in a brownish color that would fit Tharja’s body-color. Two in a fitting size (I wanted to buy one in size S and one in M, but they only had M, so I bought two of these) and one that would be way too big (XL).
I tried one on as soon as it got here and I must say… I really like the color. I got these from an ebay-seller and if I recall correctly the color was called “chocolate”.

45

So with that being ready to work with, I started with the bra. I had a pattern lying around which I altered a bit to fit Tharja’s bra-shape and started to cut out the fabric-pieces.

67

As you can see these were quite a lot of pieces and I nearly lost overview of these, but in the end I somehow managed to sew it together. I doubled the pieces so I had some lining as well.

The front bottom piece was cut out of my golden spandex fabric onto which I ironed some interfacing on, so it wouldn’t be so thin and flexible. I started sewing the first few pieces together.

89

This is what it looked like in different lightings. I liked the shape, so I started sewing on cute little pads into the lining of the cups. In the end you couldn’t actually notice them – which is a good things, but I could have just leave the fabric as it was. I still need something to go underneath it, maybe some strip-free self-glueing bra-cups…?

10

I sewed most of the egdes together, excluding the bottom line. For my first ever selfmade bra it looks totally okay.

I then put out the XL sized tights, cut off one leg and cut it open. The width of the tight fit perfectly the height of my belly, so I measured around the hips to get the perfect length for that. That’s what the XL size was for – to somehow fit around the middle part of my body. I pinned the tight in place right in between the bottom line of the bra and sewed it in place, sewing together the lining,the tights and the front fabric.

1112

Now there were only the arms missing. Remember that I bought two M sized tights? The first one would work as normal tights, the legs of the second one got cut off and cut to the right lenths for the arms. I pinned them onto the armholes and sewed them in place – again: sewing together the lining, the tights and the front fabric of the bra.

I cut some cute little strips off of the tights and used them as strings for my fingers, which should be hidden underneath the rings. With that the arm-tights would sit perfectly without moving that much around.

13

This is what the finished thing looked like. I cut off a little bit of the upper part of the tights I would wear normally, so it wouldn’t be too thick, since it should be hiding underneath the belt later on. Lastly I sewed on a few snap fasteners onto the tights and the belly-part, so it wouldn’t get out of place. When everything is worn together the snaps as well as the transition between top and tights are hidden underneath the belt. It looks like a full bodysuit.

 And with this one of the most difficult parts was finished!
Another difficult thing was the collar, but in the next blogpost of my Tharja – series I will write about the wig and cape.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this helped a few people, it took me a really long time to properly think about a way the body would make sense, including a way to go to the toilet without getting out of the whole costume.

See you next time!
As always, thank you for reading!

Until then: Stay sparkly!
Nikasparkle

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s